13D Monitor is the most comprehensive qualitative research service which specializes in shareholder activism and 13D filings and offers incomparable actionable intelligence, analysis and commentary. Our team’s deep experience and expertise allow us to deliver unparalleled insights and analysis to our subscribers, which include the industry’s leading hedge funds, investment banks and law firms.
We review, monitor and analyze every 13D filing and promptly distribute detailed reports on all material filings to our clients, providing information that drives investment decisions and perspectives. Our goal is to provide the highest quality independent, insightful and timely information to our customers, allowing them to better understand the filings and context surrounding them.
Ken Squire, founder and principal of 13D Monitor, has a weekly column on the 13D page of Barron’s entitled “The Activist Spotlight”, contributes to The Wall Street Journal and many other news outlets and regularly appears on Bloomberg TV and CNBC to discuss activism.
Who Should Subscribe?
13D Monitor provides services to elite institutional customers. Our clients include:
- Activist Hedge Funds
- Long/Short Hedge Funds
- Investment Banks
- Law Firms
- Corporate Issuers
- Institutional Investors
- Investor Relations Firms
- Proxy Solicitors and Proxy Advisory Firms
What Benefits Do Subscribers Receive?
- Daily emailed reports on all material 13D filings above $100M market cap., which range from brief updates of current situations to full reports and analysis on new 13D initiations with our value added commentary. Examples of commentary include:
Marcato/NCR - 13D Monitor Commentary (10/21/14): “…Coupled with the stock’s recent freefall, it is not a question of whether Mick McGuire will get a board seat or not but whether the Compa-ny will be smart enough to quickly and amicably offer him one or whether they will go the route of companies like Darden and Commonwealth REIT by spending time and resources to take a losing battle all the way until the end. I expect it will be the former.”
Reuters (11/10/14): NCR adds hedge fund Marcato Capital’s McGuire to board.
Elliott/Riverbed – 13D Monitor Commentary (10/8/13): “…Elliott also discusses “value maximizing operational, capital structure and Strategic review initiatives,” but based on their history, I would focus on the strategic review initiatives. I would expect Elliott at some point to make an offer to acquire this Company or assist in the sale of the Company, just like they did with Com-puware, BMC, Blue Coat, Endologix, Epicor, Metrologic, MSCS, Novell, Packeteer and Shopko.”
Reuters (1/8/14): Hedge fund Elliott offers to buy Riverbed, higher bid expected.
- Access to our online Activist Database which contains, among other things, the activist histories of all activist investors, a detailed summary of all live 13D filings, sortable by industry, market cap., returns and activist measures taken (i.e. director nominations, share buybacks, redemption of poison pill, etc.), a standstill agreement database, easily downloadable template reports, and a sortable library of all activist letters and agreements.
- Email alerts when stock price is 5%, 10%, 15%, etc. below the activist cost.
- The Activist Report, a monthly newsletter which varies in content each month but consistently has a 10 Question interview with someone from the activist/corporate governance world (past participants include Jeff Ubben, Barry Rosenstein, Michelle Edkins and Nelson Peltz), ‘Under the Threshold’, which follows situations where there is an active investor who owns under 5%, and a summary of activism over the past month.
- Preferred access to attend and sponsor the premier activist conference, The Active-Passive Investor Summit. This 400+ person event typically features a cutting edge program with top activist speakers, such as Carl Icahn, Bill Ackman and Nelson Peltz.
- Access to us and our network – our network includes the premier activist hedge funds and many of the largest pension funds, institutional investors, long/short and event driven hedge funds and service providers in the space. We routinely work to connect clients, answer questions, and make key introductions.
How is 13D Monitor Different?
Key points of differentiation between 13D Monitor and other services covering activist investing, are:
- We review every 13D filing and promptly send out comprehensive reports on all activist filings (above $100M market cap) and only activist filings; others send out every 13D filing on a limited subset of activists, whether they are activist filings or not – this protocol is susceptible to missing key activist filings and reporting on many non-activist filings.
- We have deep relationships in the activist community and provide a value-added commentary on the 13D filing, they are just providing data.
- Our elite customers receive access to us for any questions on activism or to be introduced to activist investors or others in our network. We routinely work with our clients and make key introductions.